Ingredients- Jerk Haunch
- Goat Haunch (back leg).
If the goat was old or gnarly marinate the haunch in buttermilk for 24 hours, then add the spices as below.
Jerk Rub – use the same quantity of each of the below, say 1 tbsp. use more to make a bigger batch.
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Seed
- Flaked Garlic
- Fresh Thyme
- All Spice
- Smoked Paprika
- Pink Pepper Corns
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Mint Leaves
- Garlic Pulp
- Olive Oil
- Jerk Rub
Step 1 – Butterfly Haunch
- Remove the bone from the haunch.
- Cutting off any excess sinew.
- Butterfly the haunch by shallow horizontal cuts.
- Etch the meat with shallow vertical cuts (on both sides).
- This always the flavours to penetrate deeply into the meat.
Step 2 – Meat Rub, Seasoning, Cook
- Put all the of Jerk Rub ingredients into a herb grinder and grind down to make powder of the same constancy (this may take up to 10-15 minutes .
- Dust a healthy coating of spice rub to the haunch working the meat with your fingers into the etched cuts (optional: protect hands from smelling of spice for days by using gloves to apply rub).
- Important: Keep some aside for sauce seasoning
- Turn the meat and repeat the process on the opposite side of the meat.
- Leave to stand for an hour allowing the flavours to penetrate the meat.
- After an hour put the haunch into the Traeger to smoke and roast 200c°/400f° for 15-20 minutes
Step 3 – Sauce
- Finely chop mint leaves and coriander (Stems on).
- Add lemon zest and juice.
- Pulp up 2 cloves of garlic and add to the sauce.
- 3 swirls of olive oil and a good pinch of spice rub then mix.
Step 4 – Serve
- Remove the haunch from the Traeger and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut the meat into chunks and drizzle the sauce over meat.
- Then share with fellow peckish hunters.